Friday, April 5, 2013

Be Your Own Person



     You are supposed to be an individual; you are supposed to be different and unique in every way. But for god’s sack, do not think for yourself. That is wrong.

     We are special; each and every one of us is different than one another. There is at least one thing about you that makes you different than the person you are sitting beside. If this is a good thing, then why are we not allowed to speak our minds? Why aren't we allowed to have our own opinion and view on how things should be done?

     I go to school every day at the same time, and leave every day at the same time. I go to all of my classes; I listen to all of my teachers, and write down everything they say. If they tell me 1+2=3, I must believe them, because they told me so.

     But what if I want to believe that 1+2=4? Okay, so I'm pretty much dedicating this post to my philosophy teacher. He hates the idea of listening to teachers, all day, drone on and on. He has challenged my class many times to prove that 1+1=2, can you? I think philosophy should be a mandatory course in all schools. It is the only class that allows you to think instead of learn.

     Learning is important, yes. But thinking is equally important. We should be allowed to think for ourselves without being controlled by anything else.  Learning can only get us so far. You can learn everything you can know about the world so far, but then what? If we could not think, there is no way we could learn more.


     Do you think all Einstein did was listen? No. He spent a great deal of his time thinking, he used his own brain to deduce the world. Yes, he probably spent some time listening and learning as well, but he was still able to think for himself.

     Society does not want us to think for ourselves. But why is this? Because it is afraid we will disagree with some of what society believes. And if people start to disagree with society, all goes to hell. So it asks you to not question it, and just listen.

     Will you? 



Pictures:

4 comments:

  1. You raise a good point. We do tend to only do as we're told and not ask questions. You could even look at history; its the few people that think and ask questions that make a change in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intersting topic, I agree that there are a lot of things that would be useful in life that are not taught in school. Like I can draw a sine graph but I have no idea what to do with taxes and stuff. And yeah, sometimes it's useful to take advice from other people but it's very important to be able to think on your own and recognize stupid stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there should be a mandatory class teaching us about things like taxes, because I had to teach myself how to do things like that on my own, and it's not fun !

      Delete
  3. I would say that things are changing though, and that School is becoming more of an open forum. If I did and said half the stuff I usually do in class back in the day I would be in HUGE trouble and learning goes the same. Some classes and incredibly structured and like you said robotic but others have far less of a formula and even teacher doesn't know where it is going.

    ReplyDelete